Class 5 Mathematics | Chapter 13 Solutions | Ways To Multiply And Divide
Answer the following:
1. Shantaram is a special cook who comes only on party days. Last year he was called for only 28 days. For each day he has to be paid Rs. 165.Find out how much money he will get in all.
If he is called for all days of the year how much salary will he get?
Ans. For each day Shantaram will get Rs 165
So for 28 days his earnings = 165 x 28 = 4620 rupees
In a year there are 365 days.
So if he is called for all days of the year, his earnings = 165 x 365 = 60225 rupees
2. Sohan drinks 8 glasses of water every day.
a. How many glasses will he drink in one month?
b. How many glasses will he drink in one year?
c. If 125 people living in a colony drink 8 glasses of water in a day, how much water will they drink in a year?
Ans. a. In one month Sohan will drink 8 x 30 = 240 glasses of water.
b. In one year Sohan will drink 8 x 365 = 2920 glasses
c. If 125 people living in a colony drink 8 glasses of water in a day, the amount of water they will drink in one year= 125 x 365 x 8 = 365000 glasses
3. If Soha’s heart beats 72 times in one minute, how many times it beats in one hour?
Now find out how many times it beats in one day?
Ans. In one hour there are 60 minutes.
So in one hour Soha’s heart will beat 72 x 60 = 4320 times
In one day there are 24 hours. So 4320 x 24 = 103680 times
4. A baby elephant drinks around 12 L of milk every day. How much milk will it drink in 2 years?
Ans. The amount of milk a baby elephant will drink in 2 years = 12 x 365 x 2 = 8760L
5. Thulasi and her husband work on Karunya’s farm. The Government has said that farm workers should be paid at least Rs 71 for one day’s work. But he pays Rs 55 to Thulasi and Rs58 to her husband.
a. If Thulasi works for 49 days, how much money does she get?
b. if her husband works for 42 days, how much money does he get?
c. Find the money they earn together?
a. If Thulasi works for 49 days, the amount of money she will get = 49 x 55 = 2695 rupees
b. If her husband works for 42 days, the amount of money he will get = 42 x 58 =2436 rupees
c. The amount of money they earn together = 2695 + 2436 = 5131 rupees
6. The table shows the amounts fixed by four states.
STATE Salary for one day
Haryana Rs 135
Rajasthan Rs 73
Madhya Pradesh Rs 97
Orissa Rs 75
a. For farm work which state has fixed the highest amount? Which state has fixed the lowest?
b. Bhairon Singh is a worker in Rajasthan. If he works for 8 weeks on the farm, how much will he earn?
c. Neelam is a worker in Haryana .If she works for 2 1/2 months on the farm, how much will she earn?
d. How much more will a farm worker in Madhya Pradesh get than a worker in Orissa after working for 9 weeks?
a. Highest amount fixed = Haryana
Lowest amount fixed = Rajasthan
b. In Rajasthan, salary paid for one day = 73 rupees
For 8 weeks, Bhairon Singh’s earnings = 73 x 8 x 7 = 4088 rupees
c. In Haryana, salary paid for one day = Rs 135
Number of days in 2 1/(2 ) months = 75 days
Neelam’s earnings = 135 x 75 = 10125 rupees
d. In Madhyapradesh , salary for one day = Rs 97
In Orissa, salary for one day = Rs. 75
For 9 weeks, earnings of a person in Madhyapradesh = 97 x 9 x 7 = 6111
For 9 weeks, earnings of a person in Orissa = 75 x 9 x 7 = 4725
Difference = 6111 – 4725 = 1386 rupees
7. Satish is a 13 year old boy. His father had taken a loan for farming. But the crops failed. Now Satish’s mother has to pay Rs 5000 every month for the loan. Satish started working- he looked after 17 goats of the village .He earns Rupee 1 everyday for one goat.
a. How much will he earn in one month?
b. Does he earn enough to help pay the loan every month?
c. How much will he earn in one year?
a. Satish’s earning on 1 goat per day = Re 1
The number of goats he has = 17
So Satish’s earning on 17 goats in one month = 17 x 30 = Rs 510
c. Satish’s earning in one year = 510 x 12 = Rs 6120
8. To help farmers the State Government gave cows. Kamala Bai Gudhe also got a cow. The cost of the cow was Rs 17500.She had to pay Rs 5500 and the government spent the rest of the money.
a. How much did the government spend on the cow?
b. If 9 people from her village got cows, how much did the government spend in all?
c. If Kamala Bai spends Rs 85 a day, find out how much she will spend in one month?
d. The cow gives 8 litre of milk every day. How much will it give in one month?
e. If the milk is sold at Rs 9 per litre, how much money will Kamala Bai make in one month?
a. Cost of the cow = 17500
The amount of money that Kamala Bai had to pay = 5500
Money spend by government = 17500 – 5500 = 12000 rupees
b. The amount of money spent by the Government on 9 cows = 12000 x 9 = 108000 rupees
c. The amount spent by Kamala Bai in 1 day = Rs 85
The amount spent by Kamala Bai in 1 month = 85 x 30 = Rs 2550
d. Quantity of milk given by cow in one day = 8 litre
Quantity of milk given by cow in one month = 8 x 30 = 240 litre
e. Money earned by Kamala Bai in one month by selling milk at Rs 9 per litre = 240 x 9 = Rs 2160
9. Sukhi works on a farm. He is paid Rs 98 for one day. If he works for 52 days, how much will he earn?
Sukhi’s earning for one day = Rs 98
If he works for 52 days, her earnings = 98 x 52 = Rs 5096
10. Hariya took a loan to build his house. He has to pay back Rs 2750 every month for 2 years. How much will he pay back in 2 years?
Ans. The amount paid back in 2 years = 2750 x 2 x 12 = Rs 66000
11. Ratiram is a milk seller in the city. He sells 13 litres of milk everyday at Rs 23 per litre. How much does he earn?
Ans. Cost of 1 litre of milk = Rs 23
Cost of 13 litres of milk = 23 x 13 = Rs 299
12. A farmer sells 1 litre of milk for Rs 11.In one month he sells 210 litres of milk. How much does he earn in a month?
Ans. Cost of 1 liter of milk = Rs 11
So cost of 210 litres of milk = 210 x 11 = Rs 2310
13. A company sells 1 litre of packed water for Rs 12. A shopkeeper buys 240 litres of packed water. How much does he pay?
Ans. Cost of 1 litre of packed water = Rs 12
Cost of 240 litres of packed water = 240 x 12 = 2880 rupees
14. Dolma took a loan from a friend to buy a moped for Rs 9588.She has to pay it back in equal amounts every month for six months. How much will she have to pay every month?
Thee amount of loan took by Dolma = 9588
The amount she has to pay in every month = 9588 ÷ 6 = 1598 rupees
15. Isha has Rs 1000 with her. She wants to buy petrol. One litre of petrol costs Rs 47.How many litres can she buy?
Ans. Money with Isha = Rs 1000
Cost of 1 litre = Rs 47
Litres of petrol she can buy = 1000 ÷ 47 = 21.2766
16. 576 books are to be packed in boxes. If one box has 24 books, how many boxes are needed?
Ans. Number of books are to be packed in boxes = 576
Number of books in one box = 24
The number of boxes needed = 576 ÷24 = 24
17. 836 people are watching a movie in a hall. If the hall has 44 rows, how many people can sit in 1 row?
Ans. The number of people watching a movie = 836
The number of rows in the hall = 44
The number of people can sit in 1 row = 836 ÷ 44 = 19
18. A gardener bought 458apple trees. He wants to plant 15 trees in each row. How many rows can he plant? How many trees would be left over?
Ans. Number of trees bought = 458
Number of trees planted in one row = 15
Number of rows = 458 ÷15 = 30 and 8 as the remainder.
Hence he can plant 30 rows and 8 trees are left over.
19. Shyamli bought a battery. She read on it ‘Life: 2000 hours’. She uses it throughout the day and the night. How many days will the battery run?
Life of battery = 2000 hours
The number of days the battery will run = 2000 ÷ 24= 83 and 8 as the remainder.
Hence the battery will run for 83 days.
Practice problems and solutions on multiplication and division
1. A tank is full of 300 L of water. How much water will be filled in 25 tanks? If 15 buckets can be filled with one tank of water, how many buckets in all can be filled with the water in 25 tanks?
Ans. Capacity of the water tank = 300litre
The amount of water will be filled in 25 tanks = 300 x 25 = 7500 litre
Number of buckets that can be filled with 1 tank = 15
Number of buckets that can be filled with 25 tanks = 15 x 25 = 375
2. There are 28 laddoos in 1 kg. How many laddoos will be there in 12 kg? If 16 laddoos can be packed in 1 box, how many boxes are needed to pack all these laddoos?
Ans. Number of laddoos in 1 kg = 28
Number of laddoos in 12 kg = 28 x 12 = 336
Number of laddoos that can be packed in 1 box = 16
Number of boxes needed to pack all these = 336 ÷16 = 21
3. There are 26 rooms in a school. Each room has 4 plants. If each plant needs 2 cups of water, how much water do we need for all the plants?
Ans. Number of rooms in a school = 26
Number of plants in each room = 4
Total number of plants = 26 x 4 = 104
Water needed for each plant = 2 cups
Water needed for all the plants = 104 x 2 = 208 cups.
1. Try to solve these using as few steps as you can:
a. 4228 ÷4
b. 770 ÷ 22
c. 9872 ÷ 8
d. 672 ÷21
e. 772 ÷ 7
f. 639 ÷ 13
2. Do these divisions. Check your results by multiplication:
a. 438 ÷9
b. 3480 ÷ 12
c. 450 ÷ 7
d. 900 ÷10
e. 678 ÷ 6
f. 2475 ÷ 11
1. One kg of apple costs 320 rupees. How much does a quarter kg of apple cost?
Ans. Cost of 1 kg apple = 320 rupees
Quarter kg = 1/4 kg
Quarter kg of apple cost = 320 x 1/4 = 80 rupees
2. There are 350 bags of cement in a godown. If each bag weighs 32 kg, find the total weight of these bags?
Ans. Number of bags in a godown = 350
Weight of each bag = 32 kg
Total weight of 350 bags = 350 x 32 = 11200 kg
3. A milk booth sells 225 litres of milk in a day. How many litres of milk it will sell in 2 years?
Ans. 1 Year = 365 days
2 years = 365 x 2 = 730 days
Amount of milk sold in 1 day = 225 litres
Amount of milk sold in 2 years = 225 x 730 = 164250 litres
4. Renu buys fruits for 250 rupees every day. If she buys fruits for a week how much will she have to pay?
Ans. The amount she has to pay for a week to buy fruits = 250 x 7 = 1750 rupees
5. Find the product of 567 and 64
Ans. 567 x 64 = 36288.