NCERT Class 5 Mathematics | Chapter 1 Notes, Questions
Here you will find maths notes and practice problems. These lessons are designed for students of class 5 studying in CBSE schools.
Class 5 Mathematics Chapter 1 solutions | The Fish Tale
1. If a log boat travels about 4 km in one hour, how long will it take to go a distance of 10 km?
In one hour the boat travels 4km
In two hours the boat will travel 2×4=8km
In half an hour the boat will travel 4/2=2km
So in 2 and a half hour the boat will travel 10km
2. The motor boat travels at the speed of about 20km in one hour.
a) How far would the motor boat go in three and a half hours?
b) How much time will it take to go 85km?
a) In one hour the boat travels 20km
In three hours the boat will go 3×20=60km
So in three and half hours, the boat will travel 60+10=70km.
b). In four hours, the boat will go 4 x 20 = 80 km.
In 15 minutes the boat will go 5 km.
So it will take 4 hour 15 minutes to travel 85 km.
3. The price of 8 kg kingfish is Rs.1200. At what price per kg did Fazilla sells the kingfish?
The price of 8 kg kingfish = 1200
The price of 1 kg kingfish = 1200/8 = Rs 150
4. The price of 1 kg of Prawns is Rs. 150. Floramma has sold 10 kg Prawns today. How much money did she get for that?
Price of 1 kg prawns = 150
Price of 10 kg prawns = 150 x 10 = Rs 1500
5. The price of 1 kg of sardines is Rs 40 and swordfish is
Rs 60. Gracy sold 6 kg swordfish. Mini earned as
much money as Gracy. How many kg of Sardines did
Price of 1 kg Swordfish = Rs 60
Price of 6 kg Swordfish = 6 x 60 = Rs 360
Money earned by Gracy = Rs 360
Price of 1 kg Sardines = Rs 40
Money earned by Mini and Gracy are equal.
So money earned by Mini = Rs 360
Amount of Sardines sold by Mini = 360/40 = 9 kg
6. Basheer has Rs 100. He spends one- fourth of the
money on Squid and another three-fourth on
Prawns. Price of 1 kg of Squid and Prawns are
respectively Rs 50 and 150.
a). How many kilograms of squid did he buy?
b). How many kilograms of Prawns did he buy?
a) One fourth of 100 = 100/4 =Rs 25
Price of 1 kg Squid = 50
For Rs 25, he will get ½ kg of Squid.
b).Three-fourth of 100 = Rs 75
Price of 1 kg prawn = 150
For Rs 75, he will get ½ kg of prawns.
7. Gracy took a loan of Rs.4000 to buy a net. She paid back Rs.345 every month for one year. How much money did she pay back to the Bank?
Monthly installment paid by Gracy = Rs.345.
One year = 12 Months.
The amount paid back in one year =345 X 12=4140.
8. Jhansi and her sister took a loan of Rs 21000 to buy a log boat. They paid back a total of Rs: 23520 in one year. How much did they pay back every month?
Amount paid in one year = Rs: 23520.
Amount paid in a month =23520/12= Rs 1960.
9. A car travels 105 km in 3 hours. Find the speed per hour.
In 3 hours, a car travels= 105km.
In 1 hour, a car travels = 105/3=35km.
10. Manu borrowed Rs: 8000 from a bank. He repays Rs.725 every month for a year. How much money does he repay at the end of a year?
The amount paid in every month=Rs.725.
The amount paid back at the end of year= 725 X 12= 8700.
11. Speed of a motor boat is 8 km / hr. How far can a motorboat go in five and half hours?
Speed of a motorboat in one hour = 8Km
Speed of a motorboat in 5hour = 8×5 = 40Km
Speed of a motorboat in half hour= 4Km
Speed of a motorboat in 5 and half hours= 40+4=44Km
12. Gracy took a loan of Rs 20000 to buy a car. She paid back Rs 875 every month for two years. How did she pay back to the bank?
Monthly installment= 875
Two year=24 months
The amount paid back to the bank= 875×24 = 21000.
13. Faseela took a loan of Rs 30000 for buying a laptop. They paid back a total of Rs 36000 in one year. How much did they pay back in every month?
The amount paid back in one year = 36000
The amount paid back in one month = 36000/12 = 3000
14. When fresh fish is dried, it becomes 1/3 of its weight. If we want 5 Kg dried fish, how much kilograms of fresh fish is needed?
The amount of fresh fish needed= 3×5=15Kg
15. A car covers a distance of 150 km in two hours. Find the speed of the car?
Distance covered by the car in two hours= 150Km.
Distance covered in one hour= 150/2 =75Km.
16. Balu and his friend took a loan of Rs 54000 to buy a bike. How much did they pay back every month so that they paid back a total of Rs 60000 in one year?
The amount paid back in one year =60000
The amount paid back in one month = 60000/12=5000.
17. Meena has a tuna which weighed 12Kg. She wishes to sell it as a whole at Rs 1080. What price per kilogram is selling tuna?
Weight of 12Kg tuna =1080
Weight of one kg of tuna =1080/12=Rs 90
18. Meena sells mackerels at Rs 90 per Kg. Leena sells Prawns at Rs 250 per Kg. Beena sells sardines at 60 per Kg.
a) Meena sells 15Kg mackerels and beena sells 20Kg sardines. What is difference of their earnings?
b) Ravi has Rs 500 with him. If he buys 2 kg Sardines and 1 kg prawns, what amount will be remaining with him?
Price of 1 kg mackerels = Rs 90
Price of 1 kg prawns = Rs 250
Price of 1 kg of sardines = Rs 60
a). Price of 15 kg mackerels = 90 x 15 = 1350
Price of 20 kg sardines = 60 x 20 = 1200
Difference of their earnings = 1350 – 1200 = 150
b). Price of 2 kg sardines = 60 x 2 = Rs 120
Price of 1 kg prawns = Rs 250
Total price for 2 kg sardines and 1 kg prawns
=120 + 250
= Rs 370
Money remaining with him = 500 – 370
= Rs 130
19. Cost of a shark is Rs 120 per kg.What is the cost of a shark weighs 4 and half kg?
Cost of 1 kg shark = Rs 120
Cost of 4 kg shark = 120 x 4 = Rs 480
Cost of ½ kg shark = 120/2 = Rs 60
Total cost of a shark weighs 4 and half kg
= Rs 540
20. Speed of a motorboat is 10 km/ hr.How far can a motorboat go in four hours?
Distance travelled in one hour = 10 Km
Distance travelled in four hours = 10 x 4 = 40 km
FILL IN THE BLANKS
1. 1 Crore = ——————– lakhs.
2. If 1 kg of prawns cost is Rs 250, the cost of half kg is —————
3. The number of zeros in one crore is —————
4. If the speed of the boat is 20 km / hour, then the boat goes —————- km in 5 hours.
5. The number of zeros in one lakh is ————–
4. 100 km